widget for passport reader

What is the best way from Mendix application to be able to use a passport reader or any client side device which has installation driver on the client machine. The reader does not provide an applet to be used .
asked
2 answers

Mohammad, the best way to move forward (based on your reply to David's post, would probably be to create a Specialized Widget for that function, allowing you to incorporated "stuff" into the main Mendix platform

answered

I have never used a passport reader, but I guess it's just like any other scanner - just an alternative input device as far as your computer is concerned. Test this by just opening a text document, set focus to it, then scan a passport. If it sets the contents as text in your text document, then it is just acting like a 'special' keyboard.

If that is so, in your application you should be able to set an input form with one large text field with focus. Scan a passport and the field should be filled with the details. Trigger a microflow to fire on change, or on leave, and in the MF parse the data captured and perform your search or populate the form fields as appropriate. With a normal scanner you can configure it to add a tab or return at the end of each scan which will trigger the microflow - I hope the passport reader has a similar configuration.

answered