Problems with Service installation for Mx 2.5

Environment - Mx 2.5.0.1, server MS Windows 2003 R2 x64, DB MS SQL 2005 x64 on separate server. I have followed the instructions for installing Mendix 2.5 in a Windows environment and can successfully start the application manually from the Mendix Service Console. However, I am having the following problems trying to install the Windows Service: 1) When identifying the User to use, it only shows me members of the Administrator group, not the new user that I had set up for the purpose 2) If I choose an Administrator to install the service it does not work if I choose the option to retsrict the user's permissions - I have to leave full admin rights for the service to install 3) If I install the Service as a LocalService using a full unrestricted admin account, the service installs successfully, but it will not run. The error when tring to start the service is 'Could not start the Mendix 2.5 ESS service on the Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion' In the Event Viewer application log there is the following entry: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error EventType clr20r3, P1 mendixservice.exe, P2 1.0.3810.25652, P3 4c0cf0d8, P4 mendixservice, P5 1.0.3810.25652, P6 4c0cf0d8, P7 2, P8 6, P9 system.typeinitialization, P10 NIL. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. If I go to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs I can see that Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is installed, but so is 3.0 SP2 and 2.0 SP2 - it looks like it is trying to use 2.0 SP2 and producing this error, where it should be using 3.5 ??? So, my requests for help... How do I get the service to install as a non-admin user? How should it be configured to use the correct .NET Framework 3.5 ? Thanks
asked
4 answers

Hi David,

I will have a look into your problem. Can I get back to you monday or tuesday?

answered

To set up the new user account you have created, select 'User' in the Service Configuration tab in the Account dropdown list, and fill in the user name and password.

When you have installed the service you are prompted to fill in a user name and password (this is not always the case). This user name is only needed to install the service, not to run the service. The user name filled in on the Service Configuration tab is used to run the service. You can check this after the service is installed in the Microsoft Management Console Services program, the same program you use to start the service. Double-click the service and go to the Log On tab.

More information about the built-in users: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782435(WS.10).aspx

The very cryptic message in the Event Viewer sometimes occurs when a .NET library is missing. Make sure the file 'MendixService.exe' is in the same folder as the 'Mendix Service Console.exe'. Do the folders 'x64' and 'x86' exist in this folder and contain these folders (one file each, just like the ZIP file containing the Mendix Service)? The file 'System.Data.SQLite.dll' has the same name in both folders, but it is not the same file!

answered

Update: With help from tech support we have managed to get the installed service running, but it will only start if it runs as an administrator account which is not ideal.

All files seem to be present in the correct locations, so it looks like some sort of permissions issue. When trying to run the service as a non-admin user the misleading .NET error occurs. This user has full control of the Mendix application folder structure and has rights to log on as a service, but the service will not start. After adding this user to the Administrators group, the service starts OK. I'm guessing that the non-admin user has no rights to some system dlls that are needed.

Mendix are investigating further.

answered

Have you checked out the file system security settings? On Windows 2008 you can use the tool 'icacls' to properly set the ACL's. I'm not sure, but it could be that 'icacls' is named 'cacls' in Windows 2003.

I remember there being some clues to the nature of the problem in the Mendix log file. I performed the steps below to get it to work. However, that was a version 2.4.5 installation on Windows Server 2008 R2.

1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator.
  2. Execute the following commands:

icacls "C:\Mendix\Business Server\Production" /reset /T
icacls "C:\Mendix\Business Server\Production\WEB-INF\log" /grant sa-mendix:(F) /T /Q
icacls "C:\Mendix\Business Server\Production\WEB-INF\tmp" /grant sa-mendix:(F) /T /Q
icacls "C:\Mendix\Business Server\Production\WEB-INF\uploadedfiles" /grant sa-mendix:(F) /T /Q
icacls "C:\Mendix\Business Server\Production\i18n" /grant sa-mendix:(M) /T /Q
icacls "C:\Mendix\Business Server\Production\web" /grant sa-mendix:(M) /T /Q

Kind regards,

Jonathan

answered