Changing default language causes errors in Administration.Account

New Application which comes with a default language of English US. So I added a new language (English UK) and set that to default. I then get empty caption errors in Administration account-overview page and problems with various widgets. Go into page and update all widgets – that gets rid of several errors. Then complete an empty caption which gets rid the final error. I thought changing the admin modules was strongly discouraged as new admin modules witl overwrite any changes. So presumably my solution is wrong. But why should changing the default language cause problems and what should I have done?  
asked
2 answers

Because of this kind of annoyances, we usually leave US English as default language in the model and add UK English and Dutch.

Our app template has a config entity where we configure the default language for new accounts. When creating a new account, that value is used so admins don't need to choose the language for each account. This can also be used in the custom microflows that can be specified or changed in most SSO solutions.

Some customers have Dutch only models and run into these translation errors as well. Even platform supported modules like NativeMobileResources miss some translations which have to be put back in everytime. Let alone the many community modules that are often US English only. In our apps, these appear in English which usually is just fine for the admins.

answered

I see this quite a bit as an English UK user. My usual solution is to just copy all the translations from English US to English UK using Language → Language Options. It won’t lock you out of upgrades to the modules, it just provides the missing translations needed for language aware modules.

answered