Using modeler under XP

After downloading the modeler for one of our new teammembers and and running set-up, trying to run it on his XP deck, the modeler application keeps crashing. It does uninstall and we repeated the download to be sure... What am I missing ? 1..Do you have the correct .NET version, JVM installed? That might be the problem, checking now 2.Do you have any antivirus running? Avira 3.Do you have all the latest service packs for XP installed? XP-3 4.Which modeler version are you using? 2.5.0.1 5.Do you get any type of stacktrace, error message? None, just a message that the modeler ended, no message in any of the systemlogs either
asked
4 answers

The Modeler specifically needs the Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5 SP1. It was never tested with (and probably won't work with) .NET 4.0.

For a download link, see this page.

answered

We've used XP here extensively with the modeler and never experienced any problems. Here's a quick troubleshooting guide that might help you out:

1. Do you have the correct .NET version, JVM installed?
  2. Do you have any antivirus running?
  3. Do you have all the latest service packs for XP installed?
  4. Which modeler version are you using?
  5. Do you get any type of stacktrace, error message?

(ps: it's easiest if you edit your original answer to reflect any additional information you acquire. That makes it easier for other people who find this thread to determine whether the answer provided here could help them. Thanks in advance :))

answered

Thanks,

That was indeed the issue. Modeler works now. (although I had to uninstall all my installed previous .NET versions, and manually install all eleven .NET versions and patches for the 3.5sp1 .NET installation to work)

Kind regards,

Jan

answered

To give some more information: Mendix 2.4.6.2 does install and run correctly. However, Mendix 2.5.0 and 2.5.0.1 both crash if i try to run it after (a seemingly successful) installation. No error message, just a "sorry for the inconvenience" crash. I have the latest Java JDK and .net. (Java jdk1.6.0_21 and dot net framework version 4).

We also tried installing 2.5.0.1 on another machine (with the same java JDK and .NET versions). Same problem. Here it does give an error message in the crash: "Modeler.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error: Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application."

answered