Special Character causes Overflow

hi team, i have an entity with an attribute "Name" of type String of length 5. I am trying to place a string abcád into this field. Please note the special character. Now this is causing an exception that field length is 5 but you are trying to save 6! How is this possible? Because if i keep the breakpoint and see the variable name and count the character its still 5! Why mendix Change object is taking it as 6? How can this be turned around?
asked
2 answers

I just did a small test project to confirm this. A simple setup where I put an on change microflow on a text field which calculates and displays the attribute length. áááá gives a length of 8. áááább gives a length of 10.

I wondered whether a java action to return the string length would return the same result, and unfortunately it does - it also sees á as 2 characters. Perhaps there is another java function that can take account of the character set that might return the correct length.

Update

OK I managed to get my java action to return the correct character count by first Normalizing the string. In my java action I import the class java.text.Normalizer then use

public static String stripAccents(String s) {
        return Normalizer.normalize(s, Normalizer.Form.NFD)
        .replaceAll("[^\p{ASCII}]", "");
    }
The length function on this cleaned string then returns the expected length.

Ganesh, so to solve your issue you should make the following changes:

• Increase the size of your attribute to at least 10 to allow for up to 5 double-byte characters
    • Add on-change or before-commit microflows to call a java action using the above to check the number of mormalized characters, and if it is more than 5, throw an error or take other appropriate action.
answered

I would say it is a bit different. If the character is in the UTF-8 charset, then Mendix handles it properly. Try any of the UTF-8 special characters and copy them from this site:

UTF-8 Character Set

To see that the Mendix max field length for String does adhere to UTF-8. So, also the character you mention above will work within Mendix and will be seen as a single character. This means adding to the length of the limited String in the Mendix database is NOT necessary for UTF-8 chars.

answered