Using static files (eg.: excel) as template

Hi there!   Is it possible somehow, to attach an excel file to the application, which is shared across every developer, and which is then available for the application at runtime to fill it with data?   Use case is: Form that asks for some user input, which is written into an Excel file, which is sended to a recipient via email
asked
4 answers

You can offcourse upload an Excel document. And any end user could retrieve that document. Problem is that when a user want to change the document it needs to upload the document again. And in the meantime no other user can do the same and you would need a locking mechanisme to let the other users know that the document is being changed. It would help if all users are part of the same company. Because then you can only share the URL of the file so that every office365 user can go to that file and make adjustments if needed. The advantage is that multiple users can work on that same document at the same time.

Regards,

Ronald

answered

The way we want this to work is this:

The uploaded Excel is used only as a template.

When the user fills in the form, the app creates a copy of the template excel, fills it in with data and then sends it via email.

We developers would update the template if our users asks to do that, users won’t do that.

How can I attach an excel file to my project? I failed finding an “Add file” anywhere :(

answered

Use Excel Exporter Module from Marketplace.

Use Upload Existing Excel file which is used as Template.

Create a microflow as below.  (Instead of PolicyDoc you can use your object).

Pass this generated Excel file as attachment to the mail.

For more help check : https://docs.mendix.com/howto/integration/using-the-excel-exporter/

answered

Okay so this almost solved my question. The template that is uploaded like this is (I guess) uploaded into the database.

So there is no way to attach a file to the project itself, it is needed to be uploaded to the database?

And if so, how aabout deploying this app to multiple environments (like, test, beta, alpha ….) the deployment starts always with uploading this file?

Can I ask something about the Exporter itself?

I’m trying to use the static data exporter thing in the Exporter, I have data but it throws and error saying, that there is no data to export, read the log file.

If i add something to export in the Column Data tab, then it works, and my static data is also filled into the excel.

I’ll need to fill the excel in specific cells, so i’ll need the static data feature of the module, but it seems like I’m unable to use that one only

Unfortunately, it’s not a good use case for me to iterate on a list of objects and export them row by row. 
Is there a way to make the Static data tab work by itself without the need to use Column Data tab too?      

Okay so this almost solved my question. The template that is uploaded like this is (I guess) uploaded into the database.

So there is no way to attach a file to the project itself, it is needed to be uploaded to the database?

And if so, how aabout deploying this app to multiple environments (like, test, beta, alpha ….) the deployment starts always with uploading this file?

Can I ask something about the Exporter itself?

I’m trying to use the static data exporter thing in the Exporter, I have data but it throws and error saying, that there is no data to export, read the log file.

If i add something to export in the Column Data tab, then it works, and my static data is also filled into the excel.

I’ll need to fill the excel in specific cells, so i’ll need the static data feature of the module, but it seems like I’m unable to use that one only

Unfortunately, it’s not a good use case for me to iterate on a list of objects and export them row by row. 
Is there a way to make the Static data tab work by itself without the need to use Column Data tab too?      

answered