Error when trying to use dynamic classes

Hi all,   I am relatively new to Mendix. I have been developing an application, where I wanted to associate dynamic behavior on certain widgets. Namely, I wanted to disable certain widgets, when a certain condition holds.   I have a non-persistable object which holds a boolean attribute to drive this behavior. If the attribute is false, I do not associate any classes, otherwise I set the widget to disabled via dynamic class.   In order to do this, I put this expression in the dynamic classes field of my widget (in this case it is a container, however I get the same error no matter which widget I try).   if ($PatchPageProperties/IsEditModeActive) then 'disabled' else ''   I get this error no matter where I try to add this dynamic class expression   CE0455 An expression is configured even though there is no data container.   The problem has nothing to do with non-persistable data. Even if I write something else in the dynamic classes box, I get the same error.   Any idea why I may be getting the error?
asked
3 answers

It is in fact exactly what the error says. You need to put the widget inside of a datacontainer.

In this example, the test text widget is outside of a container, resulting in the error.

image.png

If I put it inside the Dashboard the error is gone

image.png

Furthermore, I can now use any attribute in my Dashboard object (referred to as $currentObject) to display the required information like

if $currentObject/IsEditModeActive then 'disabled' else ''

answered

You need to point to the npe from the expression on the page. To this by adding a page parameter or adding a dataview to the page where the element holding the dynamic expression is in. 

answered

Rather than using dynamic classes, you may find it easier to use the Visibility section on the widgets and other elements on the page.

https://docs.mendix.com/refguide9/common-widget-properties/#visibility-properties

If you want to conditionally display content, this is usually the best method.

Good luck!

answered