Generate document from template not working on server

I am trying to output a Word 2003 document from a document template. This works fine on my development machine, but does not work on my production server. On the production server the document does not seem to get generated. Does anyone know why this might be? Is there a requirement for Word to be installed on the server where the report is being generated? If so, this is a problem EDIT: I have checked and no file is being created on the server, although a record is being created in System.FileDocument. I am getting errors in the Log as follows: 2010-10-29 02:49:16.655 ERROR - M2EE: An unhandled error occurred in the MxRuntime: 2010-10-29 02:49:16.655 ERROR M2EECould not initialize class sun.awt.image.BufImgSurfaceData at sun.awt.image.CachingSurfaceManager.<init>(Unknown Source) at sun.java2d.d3d.D3DCachingSurfaceManager.<init>(Unknown Source) at sun.java2d.SurfaceManagerFactory.createCachingManager(Unknown Source) at sun.awt.image.SurfaceManager.getManager(Unknown Source) at sun.awt.image.ImagingLib.filter(Unknown Source) at java.awt.image.AffineTransformOp.filter(Unknown Source) at com.xmlmind.fo.graphic.GraphicFactoryImpl.scaleImage(GraphicFactoryImpl.java:356) at com.xmlmind.fo.graphic.GraphicFactoryImpl.convertGraphic(GraphicFactoryImpl.java:290) at com.xmlmind.fo.graphic.GraphicFactories.convertGraphic(GraphicFactories.java:184) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.wml.Picture.layout(Picture.java:123) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.wml.Paragraph.layout(Paragraph.java:144) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.wml.TableCell.layout(TableCell.java:224) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.wml.Table.layoutCells(Table.java:476) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.wml.Table.layout(Table.java:274) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.wml.WmlTranslator.endTable(WmlTranslator.java:1183) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.Converter.endTable(Converter.java:2266) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.Converter.endElement(Converter.java:1027) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source) at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source) at com.xmlmind.fo.converter.Converter.convert(Converter.java:404) at fw.a(SourceFile:53) at dI.a(SourceFile:64) at b.a(SourceFile:91) at b.a(SourceFile:62) at cY.a(SourceFile:104) at kH.a(SourceFile:66) at eF.executeAction(SourceFile:96) at com.mendix.systemwideinterfaces.core.UserAction.execute(SourceFile:49) at com.mendix.core.actionmanagement.CoreAction.call(SourceFile:473) at ie.b(SourceFile:155) at com.mendix.core.Core.execute(SourceFile:187) at dp.execute(SourceFile:183) at jg.a(SourceFile:280) at jg.a(SourceFile:212) at jg.processRequest(SourceFile:168) at fr.a(SourceFile:75) at com.mendix.core.MxRuntime.processRequest(SourceFile:889) at com.mendix.m2ee.server.handler.RuntimeHandler.handle(RuntimeHandler.java:39) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:113) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:334) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:559) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:1007) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:747) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:203) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:406) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:462) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:436) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) I am also getting similar errors when I try to store an attachment or image... Add: This is jre6 - 1.6.0_22 _ b04 Sorry - you asked about jdk - we have jdk1.6.0 _ 17 installed on this server, although the Service Console points to the jre
asked
2 answers

No, there's no such requirement. Are you sure the filedocument isn't generated? Try generating a document, then checking the files folder in your deployment folder and look for a file created at that time. Rename the file to .doc extension (if you're generating word 2003) and try to open it.

Add: Looks like something more sinister is going on here. Do you know what version of the Java Development Kit is installed on the server? Try upgrading to a recent version if it's an old one.

answered

I solved the issue by installing 64-bit jre6 1.6.0 _ 17 instead of the 32-bit version, and switching to using this in the Service Console.

answered