Export to CSV

I replaced all 'Export to Excel' buttons with 'Export to CSV' buttons. When I open a CSV file (which is exported by a standard button on a grid) in Excel 2007, the file is displayed correctly. All columns are set as it should be. I have also tested it with Excel 2003 and Excel 2003 displays the columns fine as they should be. The customer of my project works with Excel 2003, but when they open the CSV file it is not separated by a dot comma (;), but by a normal comma (,). So the columns are all messed up (see image). The columns are separated on the decimal sign instead of the dot comma. So the question: Why is this specific Excel version messing up my columns when this Excel opens the file and why does it work with both Excel 2003 and 2007 on someone else his computer and not at my customer's computer. I can't go back to the standard 'Export to Excel', because this function requires too much memory when a lot of data is exported. What could be my solution?
asked
2 answers

The specification for a CSV file is not standardized and varies by Regional Settings. In the UK and USA the separator is a comma (,) not a semicolon (;), so if the mendix export to CSV is producing CSV files in only that format, I guess we'll have a problem with it too. I will test and update later.

The only workaround is to manually open Excel, and import the 'CSV' file as a text format which then allows you to identify what the delimiter is.

Update: Yes this is a problem for me too - if you have English UK or USA as Regional settings, the CSV format produced does not work.

answered

Please file this issue as an incident in the Partner Portal. We will try to come up with a solution in our next maintenance release (2.5.2).

answered