Multi-developer project dos & donts

Is there any clear documentation available on the rules when working in a multi-developer environment? I feel there should be a step-by-step guide to prevent problems that follow from certain actions in such an environment. It is quite easy to completely undo someone else's work simply because you did not click the Refresh button. I have the idea that some problems are occuring even though we are taking the correct steps of saving-stopping-refreshing-editing, but it is hard to be sure. Some of the issues we have been encountering in multi-developer projects lately: Import of certain widgets/modules causes multiple 'Update widget' errors to appear for developers in turn. In this case, the email module wants me to update the rich text editor widget. If I do so, my colleagues will need to do so as well. When they have done it, the error message comes back to me, and I have to do it again, etc. etc. in a seemingly endless loop. Yesterday, I edited a microflow to include a few exclusive splits. I saved all work, closed the modeler, and when I started the modeler today, the exclusive splits were there, but they were completely empty. What I had put in them yesterday, was now gone. When XML mappings are changed, other developers need to re-define the mapping. Can this not be done automatically on refresh, as is the case in microflows and forms? It is potentially dangerous now (not to mention quite annoying), because the errors appear before you refresh, but if you solve them before you refresh, you will undo the other's work. If some or all of these issues are caused by our own mishandling of the multi-developer situation, documentation would be welcome.
asked
4 answers

Instead of all your colleagues doing update widgets, have 1 update the widgets and svn commit the new package(s) and have the others simply refresh their SVN / project.

answered

It is quite easy to completely undo someone else's work simply because you did not click the Refresh button.

I don't see how this is easy, you have to ignore several warnings to destroy somebodies work.

answered

It is quite easy to completely undo someone else's work simply because you did not click the Refresh button.

I don't see how this is easy, you have to ignore several warnings to destroy somebodies work.

A general good practice: right click on a tab and select 'start editing', so you obtain the lock before you try to change something, instead of at the moment you try to save something. Problems with widgets updates are always caused by not properly using SVN. The proper way is:

1. Download the widget
  2. Update your widgets and save the project.
  3. Commit/ add the SVN changes
  4. Everyone update SVN
  5. In the modeler: everyone refresh project (F5) and project directory (F4).
answered

I don't see how case 2 can happen without someone removing those items again or them overwriting your stuff (including ignoring warnings) Widgets can be annoying but normally there aren't going to be massive changes to them all the time. Like Robert said, just use SVN and have people update it.

Case 3 sounds odd though.

answered