Validation rule on max field length is not giving a message

I have an entity "issue". "Issue" is derived from "AbstractTask", "AbstractTask" has an attribute "Description", length 500. In have a dataview with a Textarea Autogrow showing "Description". I now want the user to be notified when he tries to commit more than 500 characters. Therefore, I set the custom "Save and Close" button to "Abort on validation errors". And I put a "max length 500" validation rule on "Issue" in the domain model (not in an MF). Result: I do not geta message in the UI, only in the modeler: (com.mendix.core.CoreRuntimeException: Attribute 'IssueManagement.Issue.Description' has a maximum length of 500, tried setting a value of length 645.) Putting the validation rule on "AbstractTask" instead of "Issue" makes no difference. What am I doing wrong? ============ Using a Textarea instead of a Textarea Autogrow, I get the message in red below the field "value too long". I still do not get the message from the validation rule. Does it mean this behaviour (the "value too long" check) is not available in the Textarea Autogrow widget? And I should ask the widget builder to add this? When can I expect to see the validation rule message? It seems to be hidden behind an earlier check.
asked
3 answers

Probably the widget doesn't handle the error. What if you use a regular edit box?

answered

Hi Toon,

I think this message is not triggered by your validation rule, but by the domain model in which the attribute has a maximum length of 500. If you set it to unlimited, and check manually on the length with a validation rule, it might work correctly.

Or you might file a bug report, to make the widget handle this exception.

answered

Are you returning false in the microflow on save? Did you try an error message instead of validation? Did you try microflow debugging?

answered