Throw Web service Exception

Is there any way that I can catch the actual exception thrown by a Mendix web service? We have exposed a couple of web services to third party applications. For certain scenarios in our application, the requirements are that we throw an exception,e.g. ApplicationException : "Account Not Found". I've created a Java action that takes in a string and all it does is throw the Exception "Account Not Found". The problem is, when the operation throws this exception, it gets thrown as a "Internal Server Error". Is there a way that will enable us to catch the Exception as "Account Not Found"?
asked
2 answers

What kind of exception are you throwing? Have you tried throwing a com.mendix.modules.webservices.WebserviceException in your java action? If you use those, it will return your own exception message instead of a generic internal server error.

Javadoc:

An exception that can be thrown by webservices published by the Mendix application and webservice calls by the Mendix application.
This exception can be thrown in custom java actions handling a published webservice call to show a custom soap fault.
In the constructor, use the public field clientFaultCode or serverFaultCode to indicate a client or server error.
answered

Why are you throwing exceptions in the first case? I think 'not found' should be part of your protocol instead of an exception (because it is not an exceptional cause, but a supported case).

For example you could call an 'user exists' webservice before trying to retrieve the user, or you could return a user without name/ id if nothing was found.

answered