Problem with Mendix 2.5.1.1 and Windows XP

I installed Mendix on a virtual machine running Windows XP that didn't have Framework .NET 2.0. So I installed it first and then reinstalled Mendix. Everything was ok but after some Windows updates, Mendix didn't work anymore (it doesn't even start). I get the following error: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel. (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 134) at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal) at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors) at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors() at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem() at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped) at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.getItem(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.getItem(String propertyName) at Mendix.Modeler.Properties.Settings.getJdkLocation() in c:\cygwin\home\autobuild\build\Mendix-2.5.1\modeler-svn\Modeler\Properties\Settings.Designer.cs:line 68 at Mendix.Modeler.ModelerApplicationContext.InitModeler(WorkerTaskInfo info) in c:\cygwin\home\autobuild\build\Mendix-2.5.1\modeler-svn\Modeler\Main\ModelerApplicationContext.cs:line 104 at Mendix.Modeler.Utility.WorkerTask.backgroundWorkerDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in c:\cygwin\home\autobuild\build\Mendix-2.5.1\modeler-svn\Mendix.Modeler.Utility\WorkerTask.cs:line 137 at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e) at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument) Does anybody know the solution and/or the problem?
asked
3 answers

Was one of the patches you applied KB2509553 by any chance?

I have seen this patch cause issues with another application (admittedly in Windows Server R2 and not XP). Security Bulletin MS11-030 KB2509553 is a Critical patch for a vulnerability in DNS resolution that could allow remote code execution, but it stopped the other application working.

I would be interested to know if this is a similar issue - just uninstall the patch from the control panel and reboot to see if the problem goes away. If not, you can always reapply the patch

answered

This appears to be a problem with your .NET installation. See my answer to this question for a solution.

The relevant bits:

The error message you encountered is a generic .NET error message. It appears that there is a problem with your .NET installation. You can try to repair your installation by issuing the following commands on the command-line:

"%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg.exe" /r /x

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\WFServicesReg.exe /c

answered

From the top of my head: You need .NET 3.5 sp 1.

2.0 does not suffice.

answered