Can I integrate with a Servlet API?

Hello, I have an application that offers 2 types of API integration: through a Servlet API and trough a REST API. I fail to call them with the web service tools Mendix offers, but it fails. API documentation of the other application: ServiceDesk Plus API
asked
6 answers

RESTful and form-based (the servlet api you're referring to) are both custom (web service) calls. There is no formal definition of the service (such as is the case with SOAP: WSDL) so you need to code the entire interaction yourself.

In your case, I would read up on how REST works and then code a java client to interact with servicedesk. Note that this is not for the faint of heart, you probably need someone (relatively) well versed in java.

answered

The community commons library provides two functions that might come in handy if you want to access the ServletAPI using mendix:

• RetrieveURL - Retrieves data (such as an HTML page) from an URL using the HTTP protocol, and returns it as string.
  • StoreURLToFileDocument - Retrieve a document from an URL using a HTTP GET request.

(See https://appstore.mendix.com/link/app/Community%20Commons%20Function%20Library for more details)

answered

Maybe you could tell us why the ws call fails.

answered

OK - meanwhile I learned in link text that RESTful is not an option with Mendix. How about the other Servlet API?

answered

Thanks for the help!

This is what I managed to do: I created a microflow with a java call to the retrieveURL (community commons java call), parameters: url = 'http://localhost:8080/api/xml/getRequest?apikey=3881A009-3E68-484A-9CFE-08D6F1137BEF&account=nowhow.be' (yes... all is hard coded in this parameter) postdata = '' (maybe due to my stupidness, but it took me quite a while to discover how not to set to POST as mentioned in the component documentation - just a hint to extend this)

It works: I get an answer that I now save in a text field for testing purposes.

Now I doubt (how) to continue. If I do, I'll need to setup a whole sync process. With a WSDL webservice this is fast setup in Mendix. I wonder if I would not better use Talend (ETL tool) that works easier for this kind of operations. Any advise?

answered

this is the http answer (I replaced all < and > by ( and ) - if not, it wouldn't display in this forum)

(?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?) (response uri="/api/xml/getRequest") (result) (status)Success(/status) (statuscode)200(/statuscode) (requests) (request) (form name="item"/) (form name="product"/) (form name="level"/) (form name="contract"/) (form name="supportRep"/) (form name="productID"/) (form name="respondedTime"/) (form name="dueByTime")May 3, 2011 11:51 AM(/form) (form name="requestID")1(/form) (form name="subAccountID"/) (form name="isFirstResponseOverDue")false(/form) (form name="accountID")301(/form) (form name="productType"/) (form name="businessUnit")General(/form) (form name="subAccount"/) (form name="isOverDue")false(/form) (form name="subCategory"/) (form name="priority")Normal(/form) (form name="contractServices"/) (form name="timeSpentOnRequest"/) (form name="group"/) (form name="completedTime"/) (form name="firstResponseDueByTime"/) (form name="account")nowhow.be(/form) (form name="category"/) (form name="mode")Web Form(/form) (form name="supportPlan"/) (form name="createdBy"/) (form name="status")Open(/form) (form name="contractNumber"/) (form name="createdTime")May 3, 2011 09:51 AM(/form) (form name="contact")ikke(/form) (form name="contactID")601(/form) (form name="subject")testje(/form) (/request) (request) (form name="item"/) (form name="product")Huffy Titanium Portable Basketball System(/form) (form name="level")Tier 1(/form) (form name="contract"/) (form name="supportRep")Heather Graham(/form) (form name="productID")3(/form) (form name="respondedTime"/) (form name="dueByTime")May 3, 2011 10:59 AM(/form) (form name="requestID")2(/form) (form name="subAccountID"/) (form name="isFirstResponseOverDue")false(/form) (form name="accountID")301(/form) (form name="productType")Basketball(/form) (form name="businessUnit")General(/form) (form name="subAccount"/) (form name="isOverDue")true(/form) (form name="subCategory"/) (form name="priority")High(/form) (form name="contractServices"/) (form name="timeSpentOnRequest"/) (form name="group")Defective Item Group(/form) (form name="completedTime"/) (form name="firstResponseDueByTime"/) (form name="account")nowhow.be(/form) (form name="category")Warranty Problem(/form) (form name="mode"/) (form name="supportPlan"/) (form name="createdBy")administrator(/form) (form name="status")Open(/form) (form name="contractNumber"/) (form name="createdTime")May 3, 2011 09:59 AM(/form) (form name="contact")Guest(/form) (form name="contactID")2(/form) (form name="subject")This is MyTest(/form) (/request) (/requests) (/result) (/response)

answered