Mendix Theme Builder

We understand that something called Theme Builder is required to create and modify theme packages for Mendix applications. Is this the case please, and if so where can we obtain it?
asked
4 answers

The document you read (design guide) is a bit out of date. At the moment you don`t need a "theme builder" to create or modify a theme package. A theme is nothing more than a zipped folder with CSS and XML(the .mxf files) files within it.

So there are three ways to create a theme:

1. Creating a completely new theme
  2. Modifying the existing default theme provided by Mendix
  3. Modifying a theme you already have

We strongly recommend the second or third way because the first option require much knowledge about the structure of the client.

Again, you don't need a theme builder, you only need a zip (de)compressor to extract the theme package. After extracting the default theme (or an existing one), you can edit the theme with a CSS and XML editor like Adobe Dreamweaver. After applying your changes, compress the theme into a new ZIP package, and select it in your project settings in the modeler.

Tip: for faster checking the results of changes you make to your theme it isn't necessary to compress the theme and restart the Modeler / XAS. You can also copy the web folder in which you`ve been editing and paste it in your deployment location by hand. That will replace the 'current' web folder, and that is exactly what the Modeler does.

answered

Hi Martin,

I have a PDF-document available with a description of how you an change the look and feel of a Mendix application. I will mail you this document today

answered

Martin,

I wouldn't know this, I'm not an expert at all on this subject. There will be someone in tomorrow who is our dedicated 'styler'.

I will have him take a look at your question tomorrow

answered

Thanks Michel

It refers to a "theme builder" application which we are supposed to run on the design files (page 26). We can't find such a tool, do you have it or know where to find it please? Cheers again

M.

answered