Displaying Attributes

ok heres the problem. I have 2 tables with a 1 to many between them. Supervisor can have many users Users can have only 1 supervisor. User_ID is auto inc in User and int in Supervisor Supervisor_ID is auto inc in Supervisor and Int in User I have displayed both tables seperatly in a view so I know the correct data is in each table. However when I call say display Username in a supervisor view via a selected association from the connector the field is blank. The data is in there though. How can I display this ? How do i link both tables to show data from either in a list ?
asked
4 answers

I'd suggst the following forms:

• datagrid (supervisor)
  • dataview (supervisor) with datagrid inside (supervisor/user_supervisor)
  • datagrid (user)
  • dataview (user) with reference selector showing supervisorID

If these forms do not show you the information you want, your security is not set correctly.

answered

I have set up the relevant forms and heres the results

DataGrid(Supervisor) - UserName is blank Supervisor details all display ok

dataview (supervisor) with datagrid inside (supervisor/usersupervisor) - Couldnt select supervisor/usersupervisor as an input. Tried itr with just user and it didnt display

datagrid (user) displayed all user details but supervisor name was blank

dataview (user) with reference selector showing supervisor ID name was blank everything else displayed fine though.

There was no security set at all I turned it off to test the app.

All I want to do is display attributes from 2 entities in something like a datagrid. how hard is that ?

Instead of having userid or supervisorid i would prefer their names to be displayed in the others table. The only work around I have found for this in 2 days looking and searching these forums is to create 1 entity that holds everything. This will have it repeat unneccasarily but at least the info can be displayed.

answered

I have set up the relevant forms and heres the results

DataGrid(Supervisor) - UserName is blank Supervisor details all display ok

dataview (supervisor) with datagrid inside (supervisor/usersupervisor) - Couldnt select supervisor/usersupervisor as an input. Tried itr with just user and it didnt display

datagrid (user) displayed all user details but supervisor name was blank

dataview (user) with reference selector showing supervisor ID name was blank everything else displayed fine though.

There was no security set at all I turned it off to test the app.

All I want to do is display attributes from 2 entities in something like a datagrid. how hard is that ?

Instead of having userid or supervisorid i would prefer their names to be displayed in the others table. The only work around I have found for this in 2 days looking and searching these forums is to create 1 entity that holds everything. This will have it repeat unneccasarily but at least the info can be displayed.

answered

ok more testing

I have altered the database association methodically from 1-1 to many-many.

I even started again from scratch with just 2 tables with userid (auto), supervisorid (int) and username (string) on user and supervisorid (auto), userid (int) and supervisor_name (string) with nothing else configured.

I can enter new users, enter new supervisors, display userlist and display supervisorlist all fine as confirmed in a view. I can assign supervisors to users and the relevant attributes are updated accordingly

as soon as I display users with supervisorname instead of supervisorid it wont display same for displaying usersname instead of user_id in supervisor lists.

answered