Mendix Server on VirtualBox with Windows XP over a Linux platform

Hello. I have Linux Ubuntu installed on my PC. There I have two virtual machines: one with Linux Ubuntu and other with Windows XP. I would like to know if it is possible to install the Mendix Business Server on the VM that contains Windows XP and how I can do that? I was reading this https://world.mendix.com/display/howto25/Mendix+2.5+on+Windows but it is not really clear for me because it seems to be that you give directions but for Windows Server 2008.
asked
5 answers

You cannot deploy Mendix on a build-in database using the Mendix Service Console, because the build-in database is only intended to be used during development/testing. You'll need a PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Informix or Oracle database to deploy Mendix on an acceptance/production environment.

answered

Off course this is possible. Just make sure you've JRE on the VM and follow the instructions here

answered

OK. I did the following:

1. I downloaded the Mendix Windows Service
  2. I didn't download the ASP.NET URL Rewriter because I'm not going to use the IIS for the moment.
  3. I'm going to use a built-in database so I don't see the reason to create a new database.
  4. I created all the folders structure as it is indicated (included the Mendix Deployment Archive)
  5. I configured the console with the values:

Project Path: C:\Documents and Settings\SHARE\MyDocuments\ShareWin\Application.
Mendix Path: C:\Documents and Settings\SHARE\My Documents\ShareWin\Mendix.
Log Path: C:\Documents and Settings\SHARE\My Documents\ShareWin\Log.
Java path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6.
Application Root Url: http://localhost
HTTP Port: 8080
Server Admin Port: 8090

For the database configuration, I don't want to select anything because I want to use the built-in database of the application but it doesn't give me that option and the PostgreSQL is selected by default.

• For the application constants, no one is created
  • I don't set anything in the Service Configuration

The error that I get is: An error occurred while executing action 'null'.

com.mendix.m2ee.api.AdminException: DatabaseHost has no value at com.mendix.core.conf.Configuration.checkConfig(SourceFile:397) at com.mendix.core.MxRuntime.B(SourceFile:373) at com.mendix.core.MxRuntime.a(SourceFile:192) at ly.execute(SourceFile:54) at com.mendix.m2ee.server.handler.AdminHandler.handle(AdminHandler.java:84) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:113) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:334) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:559) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:992) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:550) at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:203) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:406) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:462) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:436) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

And a Pop-up with the label: DatabaseHost has no value

alt text

answered

A link for the picture of the error: Image_error

answered

I created a default database which name is xe on my computer with Oracle Database 10g Express Edition. The configuration on the Mendix Service Console is:

Type: Oracle 10.2 or later.
Host: localhost
Name: xe
UserName: mendixshare
Password: mendixshare

But when I start the Mendix Service Console, I get the following error:

"Opening JDBC connection failed with SQLState: 08006 Message: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection Retrying...(1/3)"

What is wrong with the configuration?

UPDATE

The system works fine now but now there is another problem. I have a host with Linux installed. In this host, there are two virtual machines: one with Linux and other with Windows XP. The VM that has Linux installed, holds a system that is made with PHP. The XP VM holds the system developed with Mendix. I already configured the port forwarding in the host for MySQL, Apache, SSH and Oracle. I can access the PHP system that runs in the Linux VM from any computer but I would like to know how I can access the Mendix system that runs in the VM with Windows XP? The IIS is 5.0 so the instructions provided here doesn't really help.

Any tip or idea?

answered