declaration index.html

I'm trying to use some CSS styles which Internet Explorer 8 does support, but only with a correct <doctype> declaration in the index.html. My index.html didn't have one at all, however I've tried using several and all seem to give the strange behaviour that when the mendix platform related javascript kicks in, the whole page goes blank. So it starts off by showing the toppane etc, but then turns completely blank. What could be causing this behaviour, and which doctype declaration should I use? I'm using a custom theme btw...
asked
2 answers

You cannot change the doctype attribute of a Mendix application, because the client depends on (the absence of) a DOCTYPE to preserve the correct behavior in all browsers.

answered

But I've seen other mendix-built websites and examples that do have this declaration, even the mendix websites. Could there be another way the to have IE8 show these CSS attributes (outline: 0;) correctly? The problem is that without the DOCTYPE declaration, the browser goes into "Quirks" mode. This limits CSS handling (apparently, i'm no expert yb any means)

answered