specify Java directory for Mendix server on Linux

Hi everyone, We want to install Mendix Server on Linux (Ubuntu). Previously, with OpenJDK, it is Ok. Now, we want to use Sun JDK. So, we have: $ java -version java version "1.6.029" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.029-b11) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.4-b02, mixed mode) However, if we try to start the server from m2ee(root), we have errors: m2ee(root): start INFO: Trying to start the MxRuntime... Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/m2ee", line 769, in <module> m2ee.cmdloop() File "/usr/lib/python2.6/cmd.py", line 142, in cmdloop stop = self.onecmd(line) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/cmd.py", line 219, in onecmd return func(arg) File "/usr/bin/m2ee", line 88, in dostart self.start() File "/usr/bin/m2ee", line 150, in start if not self.runner.start(): File "/usr/share/m2ee-tools/m2ee/runner.py", line 130, in start env=self.config.getjavaenv() File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 633, in init errread, errwrite) File "/usr/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1139, in _executechild raise child_exception OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory ERROR: Starting the JVM process did not succeed... It seems that the script cannot find the directory of JVM. The directory of JVM in our machine is: "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_29 " Do you know how we can solve the problem? Regards,
asked
2 answers

NEVER run mendix (or any other process that does not need root privileges) as the root user on a *nix system. Just don't. Never ever. Really.

Having said that:

It seems the java executable is not on your search path. Right now m2ee-tools uses the default 'java' program on the filesystem search path. Did you install the sun java jre using Ubuntu packages?

Ubuntu has the update-java-alternatives program to switch default JVM on a machine. What's the output of update-java-alternatives -l ?

answered

Thank you,

Based on your answer, I found out the solution. My problem was that I installed JDK manually from the "jdk1.6.0_29.bin" package. Therefore, m2ee-tools can not find the JVM. So now, I install Java by using apt-get. (Ref: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java) Then, I use sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun to change the default JVM to java-6-sun.

Hope that someone in the same situation can overcome it :)

Regards,

answered