WS error related to ASCII

I'm testing a (simple) webservice but when I call the webservice I get the following error: Caused by: com.mendix.connectionbus.ConnectionBusException: An error occured on line: 2417 column number: 42. The error is: Byte "195" is not a member of the (7-bit) ASCII character set. Caused by: An error occured on line: 2417 column number: 42. The error is: Byte "195" is not a member of the (7-bit) ASCII character set. com.mendix.modules.datastores.xml.RetrieveAction.execute(RetrieveAction.java:141) com.mendix.modules.datastores.xml.RetrieveAction.execute(RetrieveAction.java:34) com.mendix.core.actionmanagement.CoreAction.call(CoreAction.java:378) java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303) java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908) java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) Caused by: Byte "195" is not a member of the (7-bit) ASCII character set. org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source) org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source) com.mendix.modules.datastores.xml.RetrieveAction.execute(RetrieveAction.java:123) com.mendix.modules.datastores.xml.RetrieveAction.execute(RetrieveAction.java:34) com.mendix.core.actionmanagement.CoreAction.call(CoreAction.java:378) java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303) java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886) java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908) java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) Could anyone tell me what this error means and how I can solve this?
asked
2 answers

What webservice are you calling? It looks like you're calling one which is "ISO 8859-1" encoded, which only allows UTF-7 characters (bytes 0-191 if I'm not mistaken) 195 refers to "Ã", which is not conform to the ISO 8859-1 standard.

If I were you I'd doublecheck the encoding the webservices uses (you can set the loglevel to debug to check the exact messages exchanged). If it is indeed the ISO 8859-1, you should contact the webservice administrator and inform him that he isn't conforming to the standard :) If he's using another encoding that does allow non-UTF-7 characters it's probably a connectionbus error, please file a bug report ;)

answered

A character is being send which the parser doesn't like. Probably 'é'. I can't really help you with a solution. I suspect this should be fixed in the connectionbus?

answered