SMTP, forward to..

With the SMTP module, one can store incoming email messages. For this, email has to be forwarded to the application host and portnumber. How can this be tested locally? For example, can I send an email from hotmail or gmail to my ip-number and portnumber? Or needs my application first a deployment in the mendix or on-premise cloud?
asked
2 answers

SMTP isn't used for getting incoming email but for sending email. Also you can't send email to an ip-number/portnumber, you can only send email to an email address. Maybe the documentation belonging to this module is confusing?

answered

I tried that module a long time ago and had problems with it. It runs an SMTP server on the Mendix application and you need to forward the incoming mail to that mailserver. When I got it going I had lots of issues with messages being sent multiple times, and running a separate mailserver seems overkill for the task of receiving incoming email.

In this post https://forum.mendix.com/questions/4011/POP3/SMTP%20module%20possibility you will see that Bas developed a prototype POP3 module which he kindly made available. I incorporated this into the AdvEmail module that I use so I had a single module incorporating both incoming and outgoing mail, but I have an updated (to v 4.3.2) version of Bas's original popconnector module that I could send you to try if that's OK with Bas.

It is simple to configure and works well to collect messages by POP3 from an external mailserver and store them in Mendix forms. If interested let me know your email address.

answered