Issue with supported devices in Google Play Store, related to crosswalk-webview plugin

We ran into an issue where we were unable to increase the amount of supported devices with the phonegap build retrieved from sprintr (Original post: https://community.mendix.com/link/questions/85740). After removing a number of unnecessary plugins, the device count was increased from 280 to 380. No where near the 14000 listed devices in the google play store.   I did some research and came across a related post on stack overflow, mentioning application size (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10475954/why-does-the-google-play-store-say-my-android-app-is-incompatible-with-my-own-de). I had noticed the .apk we created with the phonegap build where more then 5 times the size of the .ipas (32.7 mb vs 6.2 mb), so this appeared to be the issue.   To see where the increase in size came from I checked the .apk with Android Studio, which pointed to libxwalkcore.so as the main offender (22.6 mb). This came from the crosswalk-webview plugin in cordova (https://github.com/crosswalk-project/cordova-plugin-crosswalk-webview). Removing the plugin from the phonegap build increased the supported devices on the .apk from 380 to 12400.    However, this plugin is used by mendix to increase the performance on Android devices. I have not tested the performance without the plugin (or checked if the app works without the plugin), as I was focused on finding the issue with the supported devices. I will edit this post once I have checked. However in the previous versions of the mendix phonegap build, android performance was lacking, and the crosswalk-webview was meant to fix that.   This means I will have to choose between performance or being able to distribute my app. Would it be possible to support the crosswalk-webview and still have an apk size that can be supported by a large list of devices? Anyone with similar issues uploading a mendix phonegap app to the google play store?
asked
2 answers

According to Google, your application is well below the maximum file size, which is 100MB without expansion files (source). It might be that older phones have a smaller cache partition so your app doesn't fit, hence the increase in supported devices after removing the crosswalk plug-in.

The question is how many people your app can currently reach, the number of supported devices doesn't tell you that. The market share of the supported devices is much more interesting.

We've added Crosswalk to be able to offer a consistent experience across Android devices. It also makes debugging problems a lot easier if you know that all Android users are using the same browser and browser version. If I remember correctly Crosswalk also requires a newer Android version than the other plug-ins we ship by default, that would also decrease the number of supported devices.

answered

The solution was found in this thread by Paul Ketelaars. The right architecture was not targeted (ARM vs x86), which was solved using this plugin.

answered