Best way to transfer data between Mendix cloud environments

I've got a few theories on this but wanted to ask the community your thoughts. Export to Excel and Import - Manual, and a bit clunky, especially if needing to move lots of data or involves lots and lots of associated tables. DB backup and restores - Might work for the initial go-live to PROD from ACCP, but not after that. Web Services - Problem I'm having here (admittedly this is an area I'm trying to skill up in) is how to configure the multiple environments for the target namespaces. I'm thinking I need to create a service for each environment and explicitly call that environment's service depending on the from/to. Better solution to the complexity problem posed in the Excel solution but requires a lot of WSDL's to create and maintain (one per environment)...or I don't know what I'm doing with this yet. XML - I see this as the likely 'best' option, similar to Excel but able to handle the complex issues. Something else? A story for something like this would be: As an administrator, I'd like to press a button that updates my source data from ACCP to PROD. Thoughts?
asked
3 answers

Hi Nolan,

If you want to transfer data between mendix apps, I would advise you to use appservices or webservices. You could create one module in Mendix with all your published and consumed webservices, including logic and pages for the configuration and import this one in every mendix app. After doing this, configure the target webservice url and credentials and start synchronizing data.

Of course I don't know what kind of data you want to transfer, but with webservices you could transfer small, large, complex or simple data. And in my opinion you don't have to create multiple target namespaces, because you're exchanging data between mendix apps regarding the same type of objects, so why would you maintain multiple wsdl's for every environment.

answered

The mendix online platform offers a backup feature, you can actually use that to transfer data between environments. When restoring the platform asks you to specify a target environment; this no longer has to be the origin environment.

answered

And you missed an app module that could be interesting: https://appstore.home.mendix.com/link/app/1624/Synobsys/Object-Backup-Restore

Regards,

Ronald

answered