Dropdown list

Why won’t a dropdown list input widget show any available attributes when in a Dataview???? 
asked
7 answers

Alan,

I made a small sample app that demonstrates 2 or 3 ways to do this, there are many other ways to accomplish this in Mendix.  On the home page, you’ll see 3 tabs:  Products, Product Reviews and Product Drop Down Showing Reviews.  On the first tab you enter products.  There is also a button to show all reviews for the selected product.  On the Second tab you enter reviews.  You’ll see a product drop down on the page where you enter reviews.  On the third page, there is a drop down of products.  When you select one, a popup window displays all of the reviews for the selected product.  You can see the app here: https://forumtesting-sandbox.mxapps.io  If you want to download a copy of the app, you can do that here:  https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/793604/ForumTesting.mpk  Btw, the project was created with Modeler 7.23.3.

Hope that helps,

Mike

answered

Alan,

The DropDown widget is for entering enumeration attributes.  Do you have any enumeration attributes on your entity?

If you are trying to select attributes from Associated entities, you’ll need to use the ReferenceSelector or ReferenceSetSelector widgets, depending on the type of association being used.

Hope that helps,

Mike

***EDIT***

Alan – 

What values do you want to appear in your drop down?  The data in a text attribute is entered by users, so I can’t picture what values would appear in the drop down.  Maybe you can help me understand?

As an example, consider the following domain model:

With the SessionType enumeration defined as follows:

In this example, I can have a Drop Down widget for the SessionType attribute that will display the 3 options: Presentation, Workshop, Training.  I can also have a ReferenceSelector that will display all of the records that have been entered for Speaker.  Both widgets will enable me to pick one value and save these values with a ProgramItem object.  Note that the Enumeration option has a static list of values (that can only be changed in the Modeler) and the Reference option has a dynamic list of values (at runtime, I can enter many speakers and all of those values will be available for me to choose in the Reference Selector).

Here is an example of an edit page with both of these controls:

Hope that helps,

Mike

answered

Not showing any attributes to select. I want to populate with Name and then retrieve specific records based on the title selected

answered

See below. Not showing any attributes to select. I want to populate with Name and then retrieve specific records based on the title selected

answered

Not showing attributes. See below. Not showing any attributes to select. I want to populate with Name and then retrieve specific records based on the title selected

answered

Just trying to have a list of titles of products, select one from a dropdown list and then retrieve the product reviews for that product. 

answered

All I am trying to do is to have a dropdown list populated with each of the products (retrieved from the table), then select a product from the dropdown list and connect to a page that lists each of the reviews for that product. Totally frustrated that this does not seem possible.

answered