Image uploader widget versus PhoneGap camera widget

Hello, I have a question about the Mendix image uploader widget. I have noticed that the image uploader widget allows the user to take images using the device's camera when veiwing the mobile version of an application and also when using the mendix developer app to view the application as a hybrid mobile app in a Phonegap environment. However, when actually packaging the application as an Adobe PhoneGap Build package and viewing it on an mobile device, the image uploader widget doesn't allow you to do this, when it is selected, it doesn't seem to respond. I have tried this by packaging it as an apk file for android. Is the use of the image uploader widget limited to when you want to only use it in the mobile version of the application? Also, I know there is a PhoneGap camera widget in the app store that works when used in a Mendix application that is packaged using PhoneGap, (I have tested it) but when trying to use the Mendix Developer app to view the application as a hybrid app, I get the error "Unable to detect camera". According to some of the responses in this Mendix forum, the PhoneGap camera widget will not work when using it in the mobile version of the application but should work when using the Mendix developer app. I hope this isn't too confusing, so far it seems like I will have to use the image uploader widget when the users view the mobile version of the application and I will have to use the PhoneGap camera widget when I want to package the application using PhoneGap and view it on an android or iOS mobile device. Thank you, any suggestions or insight will be greatly appreciated.
asked
3 answers

Hi Monique,

I'm currently working on the same setup for our product.

• If I open the application in Safari (iOS 9.2) and use an Image Uploader, then I get the option to use the camera.
  • If I open the application through a PhoneGap app(iOS) - generated using home.mendix.com > project > Publish > custom build - then I still get the option to use the camera.

I do see you are referring to apk (thus Android). Did you also try this for a iOS PhoneGap app and for Android; what SDK/platform version are you using?

answered

Hello Nick,

Thank you for responding. I haven't tried it yet for an iOS PhoneGap app but I will soon. The device I tested the image uploader widget on uses Android version 4.0.4. I actually tested it on a device that uses Android version 6.0 today and it actually responds, but it only allows me to select images from my gallery and it doesn't give me the camera app as an option. I got the same results when I tested it on a device using Android 5.1.1. Thank you for your help.

answered

I been trying t today, it still doesnt work!

answered