Create domain model from Excel - Mendix Forum

Create domain model from Excel

Basic function to create a domain model from Excel (in Domain model section of MX Studio). Mendix already allows imports into domain model from Web Services and XML, so Excel seems like a logical addition to the platform. Using CVSServices and Excel Importer still requires some effort compared to the provided native import function in MX Studio itself. This will allow for rapid testing of ideas prior to full integration to systems such as SAP.

asked
3 answers

It would be nice to be able to do this in Studio Pro as well as in Studio.

I’d also like to have the option to do this on existing apps. Apps are changing and apps are growing. Why should I create my datamodel only once at the beginning of my development process? It would be great to have the option to create the domain model of a module based on an excel sheet, even if the app is already existing.

Created

Thanks Tim. I saw this functionality on Outsystems where the data structure is created and imported directly in the IDE – it seems the creation of the Excel app is only available in the Web Dev portal and not Mx Studio Pro – I had to create an app online and then sync it with Studio Pro – was thinking that it would be good to have this happen in Mx Studio Pro as well as it would be quite fast – and would allow for more than 1MB if data to be imported. 

Created

When you create a new app (See https://new.mendix.com), you have the option to select "App from a spreadsheet”. It allows for multiple and associations. Pretty neat. 

Your idea to be able to add some similar function to the domain model, by importing an Excel, seems only a little step extra. 

Created