What is the optimal way to clear a large database table quickly?

I have a database table which updates with about ~10M records daily. Each day, the table has to be cleared and re-entered. However, clearing the database takes a long time. Are there any recommendations on how to do this optimally? I tried using batch delete from CommunityCommons but it takes three hours (!) to delete all the objects that way. Locally I can use the Database Connector to do a TRUNCATE TABLE query which runs in seconds rather than hours, but I'm not sure how to connect the database connector to the Mendix cloud and I would prefer a more native solution. OQL doesn't seem to have a functionality like this. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
asked
3 answers

There is a Mendix java api available that will give you a jdbc connection to the app database. This enables you to run SQL queries on the app database. More info here: https://docs.mendix.com/howto/extensibility/howto-datastorage-api/#5-retrieving-objects-using-sql

Be careful though, you can easily break existing data, for example associations that may point to deleted records.

answered

For future reference, this is the Java code I ended up with, since I had to do a statement rather than a query:

private final ILogNode logger = Core.getLogger(this.getClass().getName());
logger.info("executeAction: " + this.SQL);
long rowsAffected = Core.dataStorage().executeWithConnection(connection - > {
    long rowCount = -1;
    try {
        PreparedStatement stmt = connection.prepareStatement(this.SQL);
        rowCount = stmt.executeUpdate();
    } catch (SQLException e) {
        logger.error("Failed to execute sql statement: " + e.getMessage());
        throw new MendixRuntimeException(e);
    }
    return rowCount;
});
return rowsAffected;

answered

What about a scheduled event with a queue job in it and then work your way through all the objects via batches? This way it won't run one long microflow but different queue jobs with (1000) objects for instance.

Maybe check if there is no delete behaviour with the to be removed objects to speed things up.

Not ideal but removing 10M objects every day is not ideal if you ask me lol.

answered