User & Account Inheritance vs. Association in Mendix 2024

Hi all,   So I have been doing bit of reading on the matter in the title, and I can't seem to grasp what the conlusions really are in the present time. I often see conflicting explanations to the same question, so I'd like to re-state this question and make sure we have an update on its conclusions in 2024.   I have encountered the below statement in the Academy material: However, in many occasions I see that the Account entity is inheriting from the User entity by default in Mendix modules - such as the Adminisration module. I also sometimes see that the Account entity is being used as a Generalization instead of a new entity being associated with it. This all kind of conflicts with the statement in the screenshot above.   In my opinion it sounds more logical to create a new entity and associate it to the Account entity rather than inheriting from either User or Account entities, however I'm no longer sure about this. Could someone please explain to me what the most common and correct way of using these two entities is in 2024?    Thanks in advance!  
asked
2 answers

Hi Nikola,

Fun question to think about. I always think of it this way. An employee is not an account but has an account, so you use an association. The administration module expends on the system user, so it uses generalization. 

answered

Hi Nikola,

Very valid question, I think the recommended approach is to:

- "Administration" or your company admin module sit as a generalisation.

- Then any application specific data should be associated 1-1 to another entity in main module.

answered