Convert macros in excel into business logic in Mendix

Hi All , I would like to know how can I convert excel with macros into mendix app . How can we use Mendix to expose the Macros in a excel file we import ? Is it possible to create templates that can decode the Macros ?
asked
2 answers

Converting Excel macros to Mendix is not a straightforward process. This is because they serve fundamentally different purposes and their underlying architectures and languages are different.

However, I can provide a generalized approach to migrate logic and functionality:

1. Understand the Macro: Before you can migrate anything, it's crucial to understand what the Excel macro is doing. Go through the VBA code and document every action, formula, and decision the macro takes.

2. Identify Functional Requirements: Based on your understanding of the macro, list down what functional requirements are necessary in the Mendix application. This can be in the form of user stories or functional descriptions.

3. Recreate in Mendix:

- Data: Identify the data used and affected by the macro. Create the necessary data entities and attributes in Mendix.

- Logic: Mendix uses microflows and nanoflows for business logic. These are graphical representations of logic. Translate the VBA logic into these flows.

- UI: If your macro involved any form of user interaction in Excel, you'd have to recreate this in Mendix.

4. Integrate with Excel (if necessary): If your Mendix application still needs to interface with Excel files, consider using the Mendix Excel Exporter and Excel Importer modules from the Mendix Marketplace.

5. Testing: Once you've recreated the functionality in Mendix, thorough testing is required to ensure the application behaves as expected.

6. Optimize: One of the advantages of moving from an Excel macro to a platform like Mendix is the potential for optimization and scalability. Once the basic functionality is in place, look for areas to enhance and scale the solution.

7. Deployment: After testing and optimization, deploy your Mendix application.

Remember, the complexity of this migration process will largely depend on how intricate and extensive the original Excel macro is. For simple macros, the process may be quite straightforward, but for more complex VBA scripts, significant time and expertise may be required.

Lastly, there may be times when recreating a particular Excel functionality in Mendix might not be feasible or might require a different approach altogether. Always consider what makes the most sense for your specific use case and needs.

answered

Thanks Jorn let me check !!

Also I would like to know if we add a java code to Mendix

answered