Is it possible to add custom snippets of code to Mendix app?

Hi, I'm trying to add some authentication features to my Mendix App. The Identity management system I would like to use is not Okta or supported by any of the connectors available in marketplace. I was wondering if: a) Is it possible to write custom code that integrates my application with an external identity management system? b) The identity management system I would like to use does not perform outbound federation, is it possible to use an OIDC connector to integrate with my application even if outbound federation from my identity management system is not supported? c) Is it possible to have the users of my Mendix application authenticate with any other system outside of Okta, Azure, etc? Say in the case it is a smaller tool, that is not an identity provider itself but rather an authentication and identity management system?
asked
2 answers

Hi Lora,

Low-Code means it is extendible with Code that you need. The libraries for Okta/ OIDC and all are also based on custom code. So yes you can write custom code to facilitate your external identity management system.

I think this means in theory you could also use parts of the OIDC connector like the outbound federation configurations for your specific purposes like outbound federation, but if you need to create custom code, you need to incorporate this.

In theory you could create your own IAM tool and use that as a IdP, so yes I think also situation C can be possible, but again, all needs to be customly build for your usecase.

answered

Hi Lora,

a) Custom Code Integration: Yes, you can write your own code to connect your Mendix app with an external identity management system. You'd use Java actions or microflows to communicate with the system's API for tasks like logging in users or managing accounts.

In Page -> You can use HTML snnipet (HTML, CSS, JS and JQuery are possible here)

In micrflow -> Custome Java Action possible

In Nanoflow -> Custome JavaScript Action possible.

b) Using OIDC Connector without Outbound Federation: Even if your identity management system doesn't support outbound federation, you can still use an OIDC connector to connect it with your Mendix app. Your app would handle the authentication process internally.

c) Authentication with Other Systems: You can authenticate users with systems other than Okta or Azure. You might need to create custom solutions depending on the system, but it's possible. This could involve using LDAP, OAuth, or other methods.

In essence, Mendix gives you the tools to integrate with various identity management systems, whether they're well-known ones like Okta or smaller, custom systems. You'll just need to do some customization based on your specific needs.

Thanks

Dinesh Gunasekaran

answered