Use the logic of nanoflows in microflows and vice versa - Mendix Forum

Use the logic of nanoflows in microflows and vice versa

ok, so microflows are run serverside in java and nanoflows are run clientside in javascript, so therefore technically you cannot call a nanoflow in a microflow, but this idea is about reusing the logic of a nanoflow in a microflow (and vice versa).

Consider the following scenario:

We have clientside validation, checking if a certain inputfield is valid cf. certain rules and logic. For a better performance and user experience, this logic is in a nanoflow, which is set as an on change on the input field.

Now, on save, we want do this same validation. But the save action is a microflow, so I either have to duplicate my logic, or I have to convert my on change nanoflow to a microflow. Both options are not ideal.

So basically, I think when creating logic in a sub flow, it shoudn't really matter whether it is a nanoflow or microflow, it is generic logic which I should be able to call from either a microflow or nanoflow.

asked
2 answers

Rules might be a good solution for this very specific validation use case. The main issue from my pov is that rules can be used only in decisions.

In my use case I need to define the editability of fields based on a complex logic. I want to put that logic into a nanoflow that writes the results into a non-persisted object.

The nanoflow has to be called

1. in the microflow opening the page to initialize the field editability (based on the existing data)
  2. in the onChange nanoflow updating the editability of (follow-up) response fields based on the users selection.

The ideal solution would be to define the logic in a naoflow that can be called both from another nanoflow and from a microflow.

Since a microflow contains all functionalities of a nanoflow and the Toolbox blocks are the same (from Mendix Studio Pro perspective, I don’t see a problem to interpret a sub-nanoflow as sub-microflow as soon as it is calle in a microflow.

Created

This could be achieved by adding a Rules processor to the client side runtime, that way you can use Rules as a way to set up the validation and then use that in your nanoflow and your microflow.

Created