How to implement PUT API functions

Hello,    Currently I have a purchase order system that I want to share details with another application, however my biggest thing is I want it to automatically send these details to this external system, and when applicable update it. I am thinking PUT functions would work the best, and then use POST for future updates. But I lack experience with PUT functions, what is the best workflow for using PUT? Unlike GET, can I “push” the data to this external application as opposed to it being called by the external application or no?    Any recommendations on how to implement PUT and how the microflow should be constructed would be greatly helpful, or am I better off taking a different route.    Thank you! 
asked
2 answers

Your app apparently creates the orders and thus the orderid’s and your app passes the orders to the external system. You are right that you PUT your orders, since HTTP method PUT expects the caller to deliver the id.

When you update, you can use POST, but better is PATCH. The latter also requires you to pass along the id.

The way to call it, is the same as calling the most commonly used POST, just change the HTTP method and fill the request body with the information:

answered

Hello Alexandar,

• create a service with PATCH method 

• Create a message definition for the Request Body entity and map it with export and import mapping

• Add the Request Body to the service and create an Import mapping with the request body object. 

• In the Import mapping schema, select the option ‘Find an object(by key)’. This option will update the employee entity using a unique id(Auto Number) automatically

• you can access the services in swagger documentation. Please find the service location field or using postman you can execute the PATCH method. 

Another suggestion to generate REST services,

• Right-click on the entity and click on ‘Expose as REST resource’

• click on the PATCH method in the operation to generate the PATCH method

Hope this helps you!

answered