Add documentation column to entity properties - Mendix Forum

Add documentation column to entity properties

This is not the first time this is suggested, but it was then closed as "not having enough space", however, I would ilke to challenge that.

Documentation is a vital part of every application when used correctly, and one of the levels at which we can set documentation is the attribute level:

image.png

However, you're not encouraged anywhere to look at this documentation, and when most attributes don't have any, there's no real incentive to double-click an attribute to check for documentation.

I feel like a logical place for this would be the entity properties, which currently look like this:

image.png

I feel like there's enough space for another column, that could either hold a truncated version of the documentation, or a simple icon if documentation is present. Either way should show the documentation on hover.

image.png

Does this make the Microflow and Limitations smaller? Yes, but calculated attributes should be used extremely sparingly, so they should be filled very rarely. Having to mouse-over on those as well to see the full value should not be a big deal, plus you can drag the columns bigger if needed.

So, please give a more prominent place to documentation to encourage both the reading AND writing of attribute documentation where useful.

asked
2 answers

Just add a green open book icon in front of the attribute name, white if there is no documentation.

Hover effect shows the documentation as tooltip.

Clicking it allows to edit it.

Seeing whether everything was documented is of great value.

Created

Like this suggestion! 

As you stated, calculated microflows should be rare, so why not replace it for documentation. 

The type will show if it's calculated and can then be double clicked to show the details. 

Created