Back/Forward Document Navigation - Mendix Forum

Back/Forward Document Navigation

Almost every mendix developer with a big project can have difficulty navigating within the project structure. It would be awesome if the Modeler kept a stack of my open documents and allowed me to navigate back and forth with back/forward buttons (keyboard shortcuts too!) like in a browser. I know that this functionality is already "kinda" there when you close a document and you return to the previous document you had open, but sometimes I don't want to close the one I'm currently on--I just want to review the previous one to do a quick check on something, then come right back to where I am now.

asked
5 answers

Miss this feature every day!

Created

I keep running into this.  This idea is one of my most loved features of other IDEs.  I’m shocked that such an easy feature is not in Studio Pro already.  All you have to do is record the tabs I open, then a back/forward button allows me to move between them (tab history). As with any developer there is a thought process. It’s too easy to got lost in all the document tabs.  Closing one does not open a previous one in context, and even without closing it, I may need to browse back in the tabs to see where I was previously.  This feature needs to get in there ASAP, as it will greatly help speed up the development process big time (losing one’s place really adds up over time). Seems this request has been there for years now.  I think this is one of those features where people don’t realize they need it until it appears, then wonder where it was all this time.  That’s the only way I can explain why it’s not there yet after 2 years.

Created

Having a keyboard shortcut to show a list of the last x number of windows that were open would also be great though!

Created

The keyboard shortcut is actually already there: try CTRL-Tab to switch to the previous window.

I would really like to have the back and forward buttons in the Modeler as well though: it can be a pain to have to let go of the mouse to switch back and forth. 

Created

This would make my life so much easier. upvoted!

Created