Excel Exporter has no way to query data?!

The instructions for using the Excel Exporter are very unclear but at the end of the document it says “This microflow should create a PolicyDoc object and associate it with existing Policy objects, making sure that all the associations are committed, and pass this PolicyDoc as the parameter to the microflow. This will export all the Policy objects you associated with the PolicyDoc.” That’s referring to the sample Policy and PolicyDoc entities, but it is saying that I have to save the association values (records) between the Doc and my data entity. So if I want to run the export on an entity that has 100k records then I have to create the association between the Doc and 100k records, and if I want to create a new Doc then I have to associate it with all 100k records too? That seems ridiculously inefficient – how is it possible that I cannot simply pass a list to the Exporter? I really hope that I am completely wrong in my understanding of how it works – can someone please explain how I should be doing it?
asked
3 answers

In the example you’llneed to create the relations every time, but if you use the retrieve type == reference then you could setup the data to have the policies associated to a policyexport object that is then associated to the file document specialization. The you’ll need to create the relation between the 100k policy records and the policyexpport object once and then associate the policyexport object to a new filedocument generalization object for every export, then just creating 1 relation. You’ll need to setup the template differently then by using the reference retrieve type.

answered

Sean

Erwin’s answer is the way I would approach this.  However, if you are exporting 100,000 records, perhaps the CSV module is a better option for you:  https://appstore.home.mendix.com/link/app/108605/Mendix/CSV  It seems much better suited for the number of records you are working with.

Mike

answered

Thanks for the answers, I realized that the Docs are very misleading and that I can and should use an existing association – no need to create one as the Docs indicate. I am now using an existing association and that entity for my InputObject and it’s working pretty well.

answered