Application language settings

Hi everyone,  I want to show some pages in my app in different languages. Can I select and display different languages ​​on the same page instead of making separate pages for the languages ​​I want to show? How can I do that? Any help is much appreciated!!!   Thanks in advance,   Halil Kanat
asked
3 answers

Hi! Halil,

As I understand it, you need to use translation service. https://academy.mendix.com/link/modules/451/lectures/3593/-4.1-Understanding-Translation-Service

I think this link will help you. I hope it solves the problem.

Regards,

Mehmet

answered

Hi Halil Kanat,

We can have different languages added to our app. 

First we can add the language on the mendix toolbar (language >language settings > add )

then, in the right corner of the app we can switch between languages and translate the information on our pages

please see the documentation for more detail information:
https://docs.mendix.com/howto8/collaboration-requirements-management/translate-your-app-content/

https://academy.mendix.com/link/modules/187/lectures/1466/7.3-Translation-Tools

Please, let me know if the information was useful

answered

Dear Halil, 

Just adding my bit – After you have added languages and translations (ctrl + L and ctrl + shift + L are your friends), in order for user-selected language to become active you need to give the users a list (System.Language) and upon click of an item do this:

• Associate the chosen $Language to $currentUser (+commit)
  • Refresh the $currentSession using a JavaScript action – this will trigger a reload of all elements in the newly set language.

This is best done from a Nanoflow that includes a Microflow to change the actual language.

Here is an example of a Nanoflow that sets the User's language to Dutch – mind you – if you use an input parameter based upon a System.Language list-item, this will be more efficient ;-)

When using an input parameter, just use System.Language/LanguageCode as the parameter for the Microflow SUB_Language_SetToInput, or pass the System.Language itself as a parameter – we chose to use the string variable due to access rights.

The Microflow is very simple:

It finds the System.Language with the matching /LanguageCode from the Db, and if found, associates to User (+Commit). If we now refresh the session, the language will be loaded automatically. 

Going back to the final activity in the Nanoflow: this is a JavaScript action doing a single thing: it refreshes the session, but keeps the data active in the session available. Here is the code:

// This file was generated by Mendix Studio Pro.
//
// WARNING: Only the following code will be retained when actions are regenerated:
// - the import list
// - the code between BEGIN USER CODE and END USER CODE
// - the code between BEGIN EXTRA CODE and END EXTRA CODE
// Other code you write will be lost the next time you deploy the project.
import { Big } from "big.js";

// BEGIN EXTRA CODE
// END EXTRA CODE

/**
 * Triggers a refresh of the page, while keeping the content of the page.
 * @returns {Promise.<void>}
 */
export async function JsA_RefreshPage_KeepContent() {
	// BEGIN USER CODE
    mx.reloadWithState(); //reloads the page, keeps the content in the page as is
                          //for Native context use mx.reload();
	// END USER CODE
}

Here is an example of what your Language Selection List could look like:

Good luck translating and hope this helped. If it did, please mark as the correct answer ;-)

Best regards,

Wouter

answered