Mendix in a micro frontend environment/use case?

We want to use the default Mendix UI (w/ custom styling of course) in a micro frontend environment/use case. (Currently single-spa (https://single-spa.js.org/) is our framework of choice.) To properly perform the integration we would need to add some custom code to the “mxclientsystem” (especially mxui.js) which is part of the runtime. If I’m not mistaken that is unfortunately (currently?) not available in source code. So my questions would be… Has anyone done something similar (used Mendix in a micro frontend environment)? Used Mendix in an iframe? (Yeah, proper configuration done and it works. But I wonder if there are some pitfalls(*) we should be aware of. Because iframe would be our workaround for now regarding micro frontend.) Is there maybe some hook into “mxclientsystem” which could help and we are not aware of?   Thanks, Dietmar (*) Besides iframes issue in general and mobile phones. So especially regarding Mendix and iframes.
asked
3 answers

Patching mxclientsystem sounds like a terrible idea. I would advice to identify what API’s you need and build them as REST. It is extra work but it’s the right architecture:

Alternatively, you can try calling the mxclient API’s (https://apidocs.rnd.mendix.com/9/client/mx.data.html)  directly from your SPA. These were designed for use by custom widgets. So your use-case is probably not supported by Mendix.

answered

Not exactly microservices, but there is the module NativeRest in the appstore, making client-side Javascript rest-calls available.

Btw. I have two clients for which I created an Mx app that they added to their website using iframe. Pitfall one: bad on Google-ranking, but not everybody cares about that/needs that. Pitfall 2: double usermanagement.

answered

Dietmar,

When I saw your post I was hoping for a robust discussion here. We are looking for a similar solution. It should be possible for Mendix to facilitate this. We need some forward thinking here. The needed solution is the antidote to the dreaded monolith application.

Warm regards,
Steve

answered