As an Mendix developer, what information need to be expected from an designer

Hi Everyone,   Currently, I'm developing a Mendix application based on user stories and UX designer input (wireframes or mockups) detailing the expected UI design.   As a Mendix developer, I'd like to understand what information I should expect from my Mendix designer or consultant. Should we adhere to specific guidelines or can we apply our own developer standards? I want to ensure I have clear expectations before starting development, rather than proceeding independently.   Additionally, if possible, could you share an example of what an expected Mendix design document looks like?
asked
3 answers

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for sharing this information. As developers, we always strive to follow Mendix's best practices for development. However, this isn't quite what I was asking about.

answered

The experience of a UX Designer can vary widely. Some UX Designers have experience with Mendix, while others do not. Some engage in front-end development, while others focus solely on creating designs. Here are some takeaways from my own UX experience in the Mendix UX world over the past seven years.

The UX Designer will set out the guidelines regarding branding, layout, styling, and user flow-related content. These are guidelines, not rules written in stone. This means that the development team and the UX designer should collaborate to create a well-functioning application that is user-friendly and not a technical nightmare.

The UX Designer should be the first to validate user flows and create designs for them. Only after the designs are ready should the development team start developing. If the UX Designer has front-end knowledge, I recommend that they also handle the styling stories. This should be done after the development team has completed that story/user flow. If front-end knowledge is limited within the team or the designs are too complex, the UX Designer and the development team should see if they can simplify the designs.

For SCSS: always split your stylesheets into functionalities instead of creating one giant stylesheet. I recommend the 7-1 structure: The 7-1 Sass Pattern.

Always use a UI Module for your custom styling. For naming your classes, use the BEM naming convention: BEM 101. Never put styling in Style (under Appearance); always create classes for styling.

The UX Designer and the development team are one team. Communicate and do what is best for the application. Due to confidentiality, I can't release any design documents, but Mendix has a good Figma Design system which provides good insight into what is needed in a project: Mendix Figma UI Kit.

I'll be releasing a paper about this very soon, so you might want to keep an eye out for that.

Good luck!

Maurits

Senior UX Designer at The Orange Force

answered

Hi, Srinivas Kancharana

Please follow this guide lines click on below link 

https://docs.mendix.com/refguide/dev-best-practices/

I hope it will help you !

Thank you,

K . Ravi Kumar

answered