Creating asset structures

Good morning, I’m currently working on a tool to structure asset data. My approach was to use the standard “Data grids” and adding a Pop Up page with Drop Down Elements to e.g. associate plants to customers and assets to plants. With the number of customers exceeding 100 the users will be flooded with extremely long lists of customers when connecting their plants and even langer lists when connecting the assets. Furthermore we are about to add multiple subassets to our assets (See picture below). The Drop Down list for referring to the asset would blow up exponentially if used this way. Are there “better” and more user friendly solutions for these tasks? (We’d like to select the main asset once and create various different subassets that all refer back to it.)
asked
2 answers

Some questions and ideas:

1. What is the difference between SubAsst1 and SubAsset2? 
    At this moment I cannot distinct a difference and I would opt for a single entity and association.

2. also what is the difference between Asset, SubAsset and SubSubAsset? 
    If structure is 100% the same, then everything could be merged into a single entity with a self reference, in that case infinite levels of SubSubSubSubAssets are possible 

or  you could create the hierarchy using a master entity, where all assets inherit from. This allows for better and easier navigation over the associations
  3. Where does the information originate? Is this available through an API or Excel sheet?
    In both cases you could load your data into the app and thus not needing to enter it manually with the long list in drop downs
    If it must be entered manually, instead of select an asset for a sub asset, add a new subasset to an Asset, then you wont need dropdowns to select the asset. But a nested list in the asset dataview
answered

Thank you for the answer:

1. The asset might be a motor or other industrial component of a production line while subassets could be bearings, shafts or other internal components with different datasets.
  2. Therefore the looping asset was a good idea but we had to drop that.
  3. The solution should work manually and automatically.

Your final statement might be the solution.

answered