How to do Where object not in list with XPath - I want to get unused results in a dropdown

Hi,   I am trying to do something that I think must be really simple, but I can't figure out a way to do it with XPath.   I am doing the introduction training, and in the Registration page I only want to list the trainees in the drop down (reference selector) that have not been registered yet in a specific scheduled course. So, if I have 5 trainees and I register one in "Course 1", then the next time I register a trainee for "Course 1", I only want to have 4 trainees in my drop down. With SQL I would just get all trainees "WHERE Trainee NOT IN TraineesInMyRegistrationListForThisScheduledCourse". How do I do this with XPath - it is possible, right?   I was assuming it would be something like "//Trainee.Name[not(RegistrationList/Trainee/Name)]"   Thanks Goncalo
asked
2 answers

Goncalo,

In Xpath, you can test if an association is populated like this:  ModuleName.AssociationName/AssociationObject

So to see if an association is empty, the syntax is:  not(ModuleName.AssociationName/AssociationObject)

An actual example from one of my apps:  not(Schedule.Appointments_Contact/Schedule.Appointment)

This example retrieves customer contact records for which an appointment has not been created.

Hope that helps,

Mike

answered

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your suggestion. It works, but not the way I need it to. I should have explained my situation better.

• I have a list of scheduled courses
    • For each scheduled course I can add a registration
      • Per registration I need to associate a trainee (from a list of trainees)
      • If I have 2 registrations, this means I have 2 trainees attending this specific course
        • If I create a new registration (number 3), then I want to see my list of trainees (except the 2 I already added)
    • If I create a new scheduled course
      • And create a new registration for this new course, I want to see a list of all my trainees (as per my original post, I would see 5 trainees)
        • With the solution you gave me, my list of trainees would only return 3 (it would consider that 2 had already been registered in the other course) - which is not what I want

Hope this makes sense

Goncalo

answered