Building a Healthcare Administration Workflow in Mendix

0
Hi everyone,I'm exploring Mendix and wanted to learn from people who have experience building healthcare-related applications.I work in medical billing At Avenue Billing Services, where a typical workflow involves claims, documentation, follow-ups, reports, and different administrative tasks. I'm interested in how low-code development could be used to organize some of these processes into a single application.For example, an internal application could include:Claim and task trackingDocument managementUser roles and permissionsDashboards and reportingNotifications and follow-upsIntegrations with external systemsFor those who have built healthcare applications with Mendix, what would you recommend focusing on first?I'm particularly interested in database design, security, integrations, and keeping workflows easy for non-technical staff to use.What lessons have you learned from building business or healthcare applications in Mendix?Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
asked
1 answers
0

Hi Renvik,

I've worked on workflow-heavy business applications in Mendix, and the biggest lesson was to design the process first and the pages second.

For your use case, I would start with:

  • A clear domain model for Claims, Tasks, Documents, Notes, and Users.
  • Security from day one (module roles, entity access, page access, and microflow access).
  • Workflow states rather than dozens of status attributes. For example: New → Assigned → In Progress → Awaiting Response → Completed.
  • Auditability. In healthcare-related processes, users often need to know who changed what and when.

For document management, I would leverage the standard System.FileDocument model unless there is a strong reason to build a custom storage solution.

For integrations, keep external-system logic isolated behind dedicated microflows or modules. It makes maintenance much easier when APIs change.

One mistake I've seen teams make is trying to automate everything in the first release. I'd start with claim tracking, task management, and role-based access, then add reporting, notifications, and integrations incrementally.

For non-technical users, simplicity usually wins. A dashboard showing "My Tasks", "Pending Claims", and "Items Requiring Follow-up" is often more valuable than a feature-rich screen with dozens of options.

Mendix is a good fit for this type of application because workflow, security, document handling, and integrations are all areas where the platform is quite strong.

Hope that helps.


answered